|EXPERT REVIEW PARAMETERS||STAR RATING|
|1. Airborne Particulate Filtration|
|2. Gas, Chemical & Odor Filtration|
|3. Room Coverage|
|4. Noise Rating|
|5. Filter Life & Replacement Costs|
|6. Ease of Operation & Filter Replacement|
|7. Quality of Construction: Air-tight design, no off-gassing|
|8. Electronic Filter Life Monitoring|
|9. Manufacturer’s Credibility, Warranty & Return Policy|
|10. Quality of Filters|
|11. Value for Price|
The IQAIR GC Series air purifiers are for those with serious chemical and odor issues. They offer a choice of gas filter media based on what the consumer is trying to reduce from their environment. IQAIR has managed to provide an air cleaner with above average carbon media without sacrificing particulate filtration. As with all IQAIR air purifiers, the GC series has all of the features and benefits we have come to expect.
- Robust Pre-filter is a high efficiency, high-capacity tightly pleated filter pack that is actually a H11 rated HEPA filter which means it will remove 98% of all particulates 0.3 of a micron and larger. It will help prolong the life of the 4 carbon filter cartridges.
- Electrostatic Post-Filter Sleeves are provided for each of the carbon filter cartridges to complete the filtration of any remaining particulates needing to be removed including any carbon leaving the cartridges. It will achieve 99.97% efficiency at removing particulates 0.3 of a micron and larger.
- More Gas Phase Media: A GC air purifier has much more carbon media than most comparably priced models. The four high capacity filter cartridges each provide a specific type of gaseous contaminant, chemical, or voc control. The cartridges are cylindrical in shape and have a large surface area that promotes chemical reduction and ensures a high air flow rate within the machine.
- Maximum room coverage of up to 1000 square feet: when running these units on the medium speeds it will clean a room up to 600 square feet.
- Good for bedroom use with lower than average noise level on the first two fan speeds, on the third speed it is a pleasant quiet background hum, speed 4 is a bit noisy but some users will tolerate it, and like all HEPA air purifiers, it is fairly noisy on speed 5 & 6. These high speeds are best suited for quick cleaning when you are not in the room or at home.
- Advanced controls and remote: one of the big pluses of the IQAIR GC Series is its control options. While we did not see the need for the remote control, we were impressed with the ability to set the machine to go on and off at certain pre-designated times and fan speeds. The four key touch pad displays the programming timer status, filter life and status, and fan speed.
- Easy to change filters: the pre-filter is situated in the bottom module and is easy to access, remove, and replace, the 4 carbon filter cartridge’s bottom knobs are lined up with the grooves in the housing and a slight turn tightens them into place. Finally, the post filter sleeves are slid over each carbon filter cartridge. Although a bit tricky, patience will result in this being completed without too much difficulty.
- Constructed of non-off gassing ABS materials that are UV stabilized and high impact resistant.
- 3-D Ultra seal design is a three-dimensional seal between the filter element and the housing of the air cleaner that does not allow any air to by-pass the filters so all the air is cleaned.
- Carbon filter air-tight design: each of the 4 filters are cylindrical in design and fit over the opening above the fan. When they are turned along the grooves to lock in place they become air tight; the only path for the air is to go up through the inside of each filter, pass through the carbon media, and out the sides. Since the filters are sealed at the top there is no way any of the air can by-pass the filter and the only way out is through the carbon.
- Filter change indicator light is provided for each of the 3 filters and it displays green until 20% of the filter life remains, orange when 20% remains, red when 10% remains, and flashing red when none remains which is when you should replace it, although you should order your replacement when it indicates orange or red.
- Has been in business since the 1960’s selling air purifying products in hospitals and industrial clean-rooms.
- Certified performance: each IQAIR air purifier is measured at the factory and certified by the quality control engineer who tested it. Included in each box is a certificate of performance in air delivery, filter leakage, and particle filtration efficiency.
- Quality of Filters: IQAIR designs and manufactures all of their filters so you can be assured of the quality which includes the completion of the tight seal to the housing to eliminate bypassing to attain 100% filtration.
- Value for the price: although it costs more than most air purifiers on the market what IQAIR provides in the way of quality, design, and performance strongly outweighs the higher than normal price tag.
- If quiet is the paramount feature you are looking for above all else, the GC Series is not our quietest air purifier, although they are far from the noisiest, especially when run on the lower fan speeds.
- It would be nice if it had an automatic setting including dust & odor sensors to regulate the fan speed.
- Even though one does not need to replace all 3 filters at the same time, the 2 most expensive filters, the carbon filter cartridges and the post filter sleeves, are replaced simultaneously which is something to be aware of.
The IQAIR GC Air Purifiers are recommended for those who are chemically sensitive or primarily need to remove airborne chemicals, and odors from their indoor environment. We were impressed that IQAIR is able to design a machine to address specific gaseous issues while maintaining excellent particulate removal efficiency. We recognize that the price tag and cost of filter maintenance are high, but you get what you pay for with this machine. The GC series is not for everyone, however when one’s environment is such that specific chemicals and odors are the priority to resolve, it is nice to know there is a product that will efficiently and effectively address the issue.